- About GSA
- Executive Offices
- Grad Resources
ARTICLE I: STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The purpose of these Bylaws is to define procedures for operation of GSAUCSD committees and their membership.
ARTICLE II: ELIGIBILITY
Only current graduate and professional students may serve on GSAUCSD committees.
ARTICLE III: STANDING COMMITTEES
The Executive Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the President.
2. Include all elected and appointed officers of GSAUCSD.
3. Meet at least once between regular meetings of the GSAUCSD Council.
4. Ensure the observance of rules and protocols outlined in the organization’s Constitution and Bylaws.
5. Execute the will of the GSAUCSD Council as determined by resolutions, statements, or other formal pronouncements.
6. Determine institutional policy in the absence of standing precedent pending GSAUCSD Council review.
7. Make interim officer and committee appointments pending GSAUCSD Council votes of confirmation.
8. Maintain institutional relations with University offices.
9. Advise the GSAUCSD Council on changes to the Constitution and Bylaws designed to increase operational efficiencies.
10. Provide quarterly reports to GSAUCSD Council.
The University Affairs Task Force shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of Internal Affairs.
2. Meet once per quarter at a minimum.
3. Respond to pressing concerns or other matters identified by the GSAUCSD Council or Executive Committee.
4. Draft resolutions or other documents for GSAUCSD Council consideration.
5. Maintain an open membership policy that extends voting rights to all members of the graduate and professional student community.
6. Coordinate data collection, public opinion research, and the drafting of all Council resolutions related to housing, transportation, and other concerns deemed of major importance to the GSAUCSD Council.
The Graduate Student Community Awards Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of Internal Affairs or student designated by the Vice President of Internal Affairs.
2. Be open to all graduate and professional students.
3. Oversee the nomination and selection process for the Graduate Student Community Awards.
4. Help plan the Graduate Student Community Awards Reception.
The Academic and Judicial Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
2. Include the GSA President and a membership certified by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
3. Membership shall be limited to graduate students in good standing and determined by certified attendance at two consecutive meetings of the Academic and Judicial Committee.
4. Meet as necessary.
5. Maintain GSAUCSD relations with the San Diego division of the Academic Senate.
6. Oversee GSAUCSD policy towards student conduct and academic integrity concerns.
7. Assist with the coordination and planning of the annual PhD Career Conference.
8. Review instances of officer misconduct, recommend cases worthy of censure or impeachment to the GSA Council, and conduct disciplinary hearings when called upon by GSA Council or a member of the Executive Committee. The GSA President shall preside in the event that the individual elected to serve as Vice President of Academic Affairs should come under review.
The Finance Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of Finance.
2. Conform to the duties and procedures outlined in the Financial Bylaws.
The Graduate Student Advocacy Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of External Affairs.
2. Include the Legislative Liaison for Local Affairs and the Legislative Liaison for National Affairs.
3. Maintain good relations with representatives and elected officials of local, state and national governments.
4. Provide direction to GSAUCSD external affairs staff on institutional policy as regards relations with all UC system-wide organizations and other affiliations.
5. Defer contentious policy issues to the GSAUCSD Council with a formal recommendation.
6. Coordinate the representation of GSAUCSD at all major off-campus events.
7. Direct organizational planning for on-campus events in which GSAUCSD serves as a host to other student groups and institutions.
The Programming Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of Campus Affairs
2. Include the Cultural Events Coordinator and Social Events Coordinator.
3. Meet at a minimum of once per quarter.
4. Oversee the scheduling of all GSAUCSD-sponsored events.
5. Ensure that GSAUCSD events do not conflict with one another.
6. Coordinate the logistics of major events.
7. Defer decisions on exceptional or unusual expenditures to the GSAUCSD Council.
8. Set policy with regard to alcohol.
9. Support key organizers with set-up and clean-up.
The Diversity Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Vice President of Diversity Affairs.
2. Include a representative of the GradParents Network.
3. Meet at a minimum of once per quarter.
4. Define GSAUCSD policy with regard to diversity at UC San Diego.
5. Periodically review UC San Diego diversity policy.
6. Investigate ways to promote on-campus diversity.
7. Explore partnerships with the larger San Diego-area community.
8. Draft resolutions or other documents for GSAUCSD Council consideration designed to take action on specific matters related to diversity.
9. Request GSAUCSD Council consideration of pressing diversity-related concerns.
The Coffeehouse Committee shall:
1. Be chaired by the Coffeehouse Commissioner.
2. Provide direction in the implementation of Café Vita operations.
3. Provide quarterly reports to the GSAUCSD Council.
ARTICLE IV: AD HOC AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES
Section 1: Creation of Ad Hoc and Special Committees
The GSAUCSD Council shall have the power to create ad hoc and special committees by a majority vote. These committees may serve any purpose defined by the Council not in conflict with the stated purpose of those standing committees mentioned above.
Section 2: Leadership
Ad hoc and special committees shall be chaired by an individual both nominated and confirmed by the GSAUCSD Council.
Section 3: Duration
1. Ad hoc committees shall sit for a specified period of time and shall dissolve at a time chosen by the GSAUCSD council upon their creation.
2. Special committees shall sit for an unspecified period of time and shall dissolve upon a majority vote by the GSAUCSD council.
Section 4: Reporting
Ad hoc and special committees must provide quarterly reports to the GSAUCSD council.
ARTICLE V: AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS
These Bylaws shall take effect after being approved by a two-thirds vote at two consecutive GSAUCSD Council meetings provided that all members of the Council have been sent the text of the Bylaws at least five working days prior to the first meeting.
These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of those present at a regular Council meeting after the amendments have been proposed at the previous regular meeting.
Adopted 18 May 2009: approved 4 May 2009 (22-0-5) and 18 May 2009 (16-0-3).
Amended 2 May 2011: modifications to the Graduate Student Advocacy Committee and the Coffeehouse Committee; creation of University Affairs Task Force, Academic and Judicial Committee, and Diversity Committee; and elimination of Committee on Housing, Committee on Transportation, and the All-Grad Student Research Symposium Planning Committee. Adopted by consensus.